23 April 2011

Update

I've been devouring the book Pea Ridge:  Civil War Campaign in the West by William Shea & Earl Hess. The Trans-Mississippi has not interested me at all in the past, but after Jim ran that Pea Ridge scenario for GaG the seed was planted. Soon after-words the book came into my work and though it was going to be recycled since it was heavily mildewed, I saved it, cleaned it up and began to read. Excellent. Definitely the best ACW battle history I've yet read. And a super resource in wargaming terms.

Also I finished another stand worth of figures for my SC Cadets unit. They may become Louisiana Cadets if my current enthusiasm for the Trans-Mississippi has any staying power.  I placed an order with GMB flags (which is now on it's way) so I'll have to decide.

The book has also spurred me to place an order with Sash & Saber. I'm going to put together 2 Squadrons of Union Cavalry both mounted & dismounted. Pea Ridge is, so far, the only ACW battle that I've read about where you could really justify the use of Mounted cavalry and Infantry on the same table.

I've received a really interesting book on ACW guerilla warfare called A Savage Conflict as a B'day present and also bought several other recent ACW releases. It's beginning to heat up out there in Civil War land due to the sesquicentennial having arrived. Lots of good lectures available all over the web, though I'm sure the "Lost Cause" crowd is frustrated since that falsehood has lost all traction and is consistently ridiculed.

No comments:

Post a Comment